Monday, March 10, 2014

The house husband

It is in our culture, not only in the Philippines but all around the world, that the fathers provide for their families. So being a house husband isn't that easy specially to macho daddies like me.

Since I am the one who stays at the house to take care of our little princess, I am the one who wakes up early to prepare breakfast for my wife and baby, boils water for Kaitlin's bath, takes baby outside for her dose of sunlight, etc. When my wife leaves for office, baby Kaitlin and I starts playing, watching TV, telling stories, eating Marie, sharing hugs and kisses, watching the dogs outside, and playing again until she falls asleep.

Because of being a house husband for 7 months now, our little princess became a little clingy to me. OK, maybe not just little. She doesn't want me to leave her even during her playing time in her crib. She cries even if I only have to go to the toilet which is beside her room. By the way, can you imagine how Regine Velasquez sing joined by Arnel Pineda? That is how my baby cries. Neighbors two house away can still notice baby Kaitlin's voice. She even experienced losing her voice because of crying. There was a point when she cries without sound because she already cried too much. That is why I don't let her cry that much anymore.

When Kaitlin is too clingy, I can't even cook my own lunch so I am very used to eat lunch at around 2 or 3 pm. Even going to toilet is a challenge for me. One time I had no choice but to bring her with me. Since she was in a carrier I thought I could just pee easily. But no, when she heard the splashing sound, she started to search where the sound was coming from. When she realized she couldn't reach the splashing water by hand, she instead used her feet to reach the source of the golden water. So my pee went all over her feet and my short pants. And that meant it was time for bath. Again.

When she sleeps, sometimes I do the laundry, wash her cloth diapers (sometimes with poop), clean our room and baby's room, clean her feeding bottles, cut her nails, etc. 

There are times when she just wants to be carried all the time, causing my muscles to ache. In my lower back, shoulder, arms, legs, and feet, all are suffering from muscle pains.

But the hardest part of being a house husband is not the physical challenge we face everyday, it is the masculinity challenge. What is the masculinity challenge? It is when we think that we are not good fathers because we can't fulfill our duty as a provider of the family. 

I'll be lying if I say I am not envious of those daddies out there who are working and has their own salaries, those who buy their own cars, own gadgets, own pet dogs, own pants and shirts. I even sometimes get insecure what might other people say to me when they find out that I am the one stays in the house while my wife is working. 

I still want to get a job and expand my little business, but while my daughter and my wife needs me to be a house husband for a while, I'll be doing this. Why? Simple. Because I love them. Even if it takes away my "machoness" by doing laundry, even though other people may say bad things about me, even if I have to give up my manly pride. If my family requires it, I will do it because I love them.

You might wonder, why can't we just get a babysitter? There have been five different sitters who took care of our baby, but none of them passed the challenge. Three of them we're too young, so responsibility and dedication were their major obstacles. One got an attitude problem and one got pregnant. Trust is also hard to give away specially when it comes to your baby's care and security. 

For daddies out there that is working to provide your family's needs, keep it up bro. You've been doing great. But don't forget to still give your quality time to your wife and kids. Do not under estimate your wife if she stays at home. Being a housewife is a hard, tiring and frustrating job. Believe me guys, it is equally hard if you're in their position.

For stay at home mommies, I still cannot understand how the heck can you do things, I mean, I've been a house husband for 7 months now but I still get a hard time to sort things out. You carry your baby while doing household chores, breastfeed even your nipples are already swollen or bleeding, do the laundry, cook meals, wake up in the middle of the night because baby is crying, and you still do all of these even is you've got a headache. I mean, I've got bigger muscles than any of you but still you manage to do those things. I really really admire you for this.

For working moms, you are no less than any mommies who stay at home. Tired from work and yet you still got a lot of energy to tale care of you baby. You still give quality time to your husband and do household chores. You are a super mom. 

Finally, for all the house husbands out there... Yeah, sailing against the wind is hard as hell. What we are doing is against the world's culture. But sometimes to do what is right means giving up the things we want the most. Even our dreams. And giving up for the good of your family is a noble one. Two thumbs up for you guys. Inuman na yan!

She doesn't want to be left alone in her crib

She thinks I'm her bed

No comments:

Post a Comment